Thursday, April 13, 2006

Charity

Although I speak with the tongues of men and angels,
without charity my voice is like a tinkling cymbal.
Although I have the gift of prophesy,
and understand all mysteries and knowledge,
and have faith such that I could move mountains,
without charity I am nothing.
And if I give all my goods to feed the poor,
and give my body to be burned,
without charity it profits me nothing.

Charity suffers long, and is kind.
Charity has no envy, and does not boast.
Charity is not puffed up,
does not behave itself unseemly or only seek its own,
is not easily provoked and thinks no evil.
Charity does not rejoice in iniquity,
but rejoices in the truth;
and bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.

Charity never fails;
but wherever there are prophesies, they will fail;
wherever there are tongues, they will cease;
wherever there is knowledge, it will fade away.
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part,
but when that which is perfect has come,
then that which is incomplete shall fade away.

When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I understood as a child,
I thought as a child;
but when I became a man I put away childish things.
For now, we see through a glass, darkly;
but then, we will see face to face.
Now I know in part, but then I shall know, as I am known.

And now abide in faith, hope and charity, these three.
And remember, the greatest of these is charity.

- the Apostle Paul, first letter to the Corinthians
- update of translation by William Tyndale

If one in a hundred "Christians" took this one passage to heart, "Christendom" would be a far better place. Happy Eastertide.

Satyagraha!

No comments: